Artillery In Jersey

The Channel Islands were the most heavily fortified areas of the Atlantic Wall with one hundred and forty-six artillery pieces in thirty-seven Batteries.

There were two types of Batteries; Coastal Artillery manned by the Army and Navy, and Divisional Batteries manned by troops of Artillery Regiment 319.

The Coastal Batteries consisted of:

Batterie Lothringen

The only Navy Batterie in Jersey, manned by one hundred and seventy-eight men from Marine Artillery Battalion 3./MAA 604

Location: Noirmont Point

Batterie Description:
Main armament: Four ships guns; 15cm SK L/45. Range 10.3 miles (22 kilometres). Made by Krupp (1917) arrived in Jersey March 1941.

Two 7.5cm FK 231(f) French field guns, six 2cm Flak 29 Oerlikon anti-aircraft guns, one 2.5cm Pak 112(f) four MG.34’s, five MG.13’s, two FT.17 tank turrets.

One 150cm Searchlight, codenamed; Max One 110cm Searchlight codenamed: Moritz.

One type M132 split-level Command bunker

The site today: Extensive remains of the Batterie site and surrounding complexes. The site is now in the care of the CIOS and can be visited. Please check for dates and times for visiting the M132 Command bunker.

Batterie Hindenburg

1./HKAR 1265 Heers Küsten Artillerie Regiment (Army Coastal Artillery Regiment)

Location: North of La Route Orange, Les Quennevais, St. Brelade

Batterie Description:
Main armament: 21cm Mörser 18, medium Howitzers. Made by Krupp, 1939. Range; 10.3miles (18.6kms).

One FT.17 Tank turret. One 110cm Searchlight, codenamed Adelheid. Two 2cm Flakvierlings.

Manned by one hundred and twenty-nine Army personnel

The site today: Very little remains to see. The personnel shelters and munition shelters are now used by residents as storage and cannot be viewed.

Batterie Ludendorff

2./HKAR 1265 Heers Küsten Artillerie Regiment (Army Coastal Artillery Regiment)

Location: La Cache de L’Eglise, St. Ouen

Batterie Description:
Main armament: 21cm Mörser 18, medium Howitzers. Made by Krupp, 1939. Range; 10.3miles (18.6kms).

One FT.17 Tank turret. Three MG.34s, two LeMG.34s. Three 3.7cm Flak 37s

Manned by one hundred and thirty Army personnel

The site today: Most of the Batterie site has survived. Two of the gun positions are visible. Two of the anti-aircraft positions and several munition and personnel shelters survived, but most are on private land and can only be viewed from La Cache de L’Eglise.

The Forward observation position was located in St Ouen’s Mill.

Batterie Mackensen

3./HKAR 1265 Heers Küsten Artillerie Regiment (Army Coastal Artillery Regiment)

Location: La Rue de la Fosse a Gres, St. Martin

Batterie Description:
Main armament: 21cm Mörser 18, medium Howitzers. Made by Krupp, 1939. Range; 10.3miles (18.6kms).

Two sMG.34s, Three LeMG.34s. Three 2cm Flak 38s

Manned by one hundred and twenty-nine Army personnel

The site today: The land in and around the Batterie site has been largely returned to agriculture with the three positions being partly buried. Various munition and personnel shelters exist; however, they are on private land and can only be viewed from La Rue de la Fosse a Gres.

The Forward observation position was located in Rozel Mill; designated M6.

Batterie Endrass

4./HKAR 1265 Heers Küsten Artillerie Regiment (Army Coastal Artillery Regiment)

Location: Westmount, St. Helier

Batterie Description:
Main armament: Four 10.5cm K 331(f) French Canon de 105. Produced in 1913. Range 7.2 miles (12 kms). All four guns were housed in reinforced field-type casemates. The Batterie was used as part of the defence of the Harbour.

One Renault tank turret. Two sMG.34s three LeMG.34s. One 2cm Flakvierling 38, one Flak 30. One 90cm Searchlight, codenamed Anton.

Manned by seventy-five Army personnel.

The site today: Two of the casemate bunkers have been demolished, two survived but are now in a residential housing estate and cannot be viewed.

The forward observation position can be seen on the public walkway above the newly installed Electricity sub-station.

Batterie Moltke

5./HKAR 1265 Heers Küsten Artillerie Regiment (Army Coastal Artillery Regiment)

Location: Les Landes, St. Ouen.

Batterie Description:
Main armament: Four 15.5cm K.418(f) field guns. Known as Canon de 155, Grand Puissance Filloux. Produced in 1917, range 13.6 miles (22.8 kms).

Three Renault Tank turrets. One 3.7cm Pak.35/36. One LeMG.34. Two sMG.34s. Three 3.7cm Flak 37s. One 150cm Searchlight codenamed; Artur.

Manned by one hundred Army personnel.

The site today: The whole Batterie site has largely survived. The number four-gun position has been preserved and restored by the CIOS. Please check for dates and times for visiting.

Batterie Roon

6./HKAR Heers Küsten Artillerie Regiment (Army Coastal Artillery Regiment)

Location: La Moye, St. Brelade.

Batterie Description:
Main armament; Four 22cm K.532(F) field guns. French Canon de 220 L. 1917 Schneider, range 13.6 miles (22.8kms).

One Renault tank turret, three LeMG.34s, two sMG.34s. One 2cm Flakvierling 38.

Two 150cm searchlights, codenamed; Armin and Attila.

Manned by one hundred and forty-four Army personnel.

The site today: The Batterie site is now under a private housing estate and H.M Prison, however one-gun position has survived and can be seen to the left of the entrance of Clos d’Avoine. The position for the 2cm Flakvierling 38 can be found on the cliff footpath.

Batterie Schlieffen

13./HKAR.1265. Attached to: 1./HKAR Heers Küsten Artillerie Regiment (Army Coastal Artillery Regiment)

Location: Verclut, Grouville.

Batterie Description:
Main armament; Four 15cm K.18 field guns. Made by Rheinmettal Borsig 1939. Range; 15.5 miles (24.8 kms).

(This Batterie was initially Batterie Gneisenau, located at Cobo Guernsey, being transferred to Jersey in August 1944 to bolster defences in the East of the island).

The site today: Very little of the site exists today.

Batterie Haesler

14./ HKAR 1265. Attached to: 1./HKAR Heers Küsten Artillerie Regiment (Army Coastal Artillery Regiment)

Location: La Coupe, St. Martin.

Batterie Description:
Main armament; Four 15cm K.18 field guns. Made by Rheinmettal Borsig 1939. Range; 15.5 miles (24.8 kms).

(This Batterie was initially Batterie Scharnhorst, located near Les Islets Arsenal Guernsey, being transferred to Jersey in August 1944 to bolster defences in the East of the island).

The site today: Very little of the site exists today.